Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken:
– Boneless chicken, bite sized pieces- 300 gms
– Salt- 1/2 tsp
– Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
For the Batter:
– Maida/All Purpose Flour- 3 tbsp measure
– Cornflour- 2 tsp measure
– Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
– Salt- 1/4 tsp
– Egg white- of 1 egg
– Chilled Water- 4 tbsp
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
– Tomato Ketchup- 4 tbsp
– Sugar- 3 tbsp
– White Vinegar- 3 tbsp
– Dark Soy Sauce- 3/4 tsp
– Green bell peppers/capsicum, cubed- 1 cup (around 70 gms)
– Red bell peppers/capsicum, cubed- 1 cup ( around 70 gms)
– Oil- 1/2 tbsp oil + oil for deep frying the chicken
– Wash and leave the chicken pieces/fillets to drain.
– Pat dry if required and cut them into bite sized pieces. You could use a mix of boneless dark and white meat, makes the chicken pieces moist and juicy.
– Marinate with salt and pepper powder and set aside for 20 mins.
– Add all the ingredients of the sweet and sour sauce in a small bowl and give a mix. Set aside for use later.
– Prepare the batter/mix as per ingredients specified above.
– Heat oil for deep frying in a skillet or wok or kadai.
– Once the oil is medium hot, dip the marinated chicken pieces in the batter and drop them in oil side by side to not crowd the pan.
– Fry the chicken pieces on medium heat for 1 minute without turning them.
– After that keep turning & frying the pieces for another 4-5 mins till golden in colour. Take it out & repeat the same with the next batch.
– Now take a wok or kadai and add 1/2 tbsp oil.
– Keep it on high heat and add the cubed peppers. Stir fry on high heat for 1 minute and then add the sweet & sour sauce. Mix and continue to fry on high heat for another minute till the sauce is cooked and thick.
– Now add the fried chicken pieces, give a mix and continue to stir fry to coat the chicken pieces well with the sauce. This should take around 2 mins.
– Serve with noodles or fried rice.
#sweetandsourchicken #chinesesweetandsourchicken #chineserecipe #spiceeats #spiceeatsrecipes #spiceseatschicken